Thursday, October 4, 2012

Down Rope


Down Rope


Down Rope refers to a place on Pitcairn Island.  It is a small sandy beach accessible by boat on a calm day or down the cliff face from high above the beach.  Engraved on wall at the base of the cliff are ancient petroglyphs carved into the rock wall. Tourists who come to Pitcairn often inquire about going down there.  The track is narrow and nearly vertical in places and there is no rope.  Maybe in the past there has been a rope hence the name.  You need nerves of steel and a good head for heights to negotiate the route. 
                                               Looking towards the beach from the sea


                                         Standing looking at the petroglyphs on rock wall                                        

After my successful climb up to Christian’s Cave I decided that I would be prepared to give Down Rope a try.  My reasoning was that if it was too difficult for me then I would turn around and retreat up the cliff face.  Brenda Christian (pre-school teacher) is also on school holiday this week so she agreed to be the guide for Juergen Schuman and myself.  We successfully got to the bottom of the cliff and enjoyed a few hours on the sand and explored around the rocks before climbing back up.

                                                       I'm standing at the base of the cliff

Climbing back up.  Brenda behind me.
 

3 comments:

  1. My name is Raina Ping from dubia, I contacted Mr Osman Loan company for a business loan amount of S$200,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to

    my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I

    was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country,

    I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email
    contact us today. housingfinance22@gmail.com
    Contact us on whatspp +447513195409
    Mr Osman Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finance quick loan offer amount from $3000 to $50,000,000 apply now We give out loans within 1 year to 20 years maximum repayment plan. whatspp Number +918929490461 abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com low interest rate of 2%. Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  3. GENUINE BANK GUARANTEE (BG) AND STANDBY LETTER OF CREDIT (SBLC) FOR BUY OR LEASE AT THE BEST AVAILABLE RATES
    We offer certified and verifiable financial bank instruments via Swift Transmission from a genuine provider capable
    of taking up time bound transactions.
    FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+2%
    FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    PRICE = 32%+2%
    Our BG/SBLC Financing can help you get your project funded,
    loan financing by providing you with yearly.
    RWA ready to close leasing with any interested client in few banking days
    I will be glad to share with you our working procedures.
    Name : Thomas Wolfgang
    Email : inquiry.fastfunding@gmail.com
    Skype : inquiry.fastfunding@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete